Sunday, February 13, 2011

Marilyn Manson - The Beautiful People

 First of all, I would like to apologize for the delay in the posting of last weeks blog.  I had attempted to post one numerous times but struggled finding a video I actually wanted to discuss with the time that I had.
So, without further ado, I give you my music video choice for last week: "The Beautiful People" by Marilyn Manson.
Manson in Beautiful People

http://youtu.be/Ypkv0HeUvTc

Released in 1999, the video and the music both begin in the same manner: dark, cryptic, and intense.  The first time I heard the song, I found it hard to not keep listening to find out how the song was going to progress; I had the same initial reaction with the video.  The darkness Manson involves in this video and song is present in almost all of his art, which I think is part of the reason he stands out in the musical world.

Manson close-up
As Manson's gravely voice reverberates over the minor chords and instruments he is accompanied by, the video flashes between grotesque images and Manson himself.  Honestly, I think he is talented in what he does, but he is a very creepy individual to see and I think he emphasizes this characteristic in his music videos.  The colors are muted and the images are often distorted, flashing and pulsing with the screaming beat of The Beautiful People.

No comments:

Post a Comment