Monday, January 24, 2011

George Michael - Faith

Hello again to anyone and everyone reading my blog!  I've had a lot of time to decide how I really want to make my blog work and hope that I will inspire all of those following to join along in my conversation.
"Butt shot"

This week, I've decided to share George Michael's "Faith" music video: http://www.youtube.com/watch

George was originally the lead singer of hit 80's group Wham! before he went off on a solo career.  In 1987 he released his first solo album entitled Faith, on which he wrote and produced every track but one.  The song "Faith" was his second single off the album to find it's way to the top of the billboard charts; in fact, 6 of the songs off of the Faith album landed on the top 5 of the Billboard hot 100 hits between 1987-88.

Shot from video
For me, this music video was far ahead of it's time in the fact that it allowed the focus to be on Michael's tightly fitted butt.  It was rare for male sexuality to be explored in that way in music videos, especially by the artist themselves.  But honestly, I think this video does justice for the song, as I think many 80's music videos did (however, that's because I feel the 80's had more raw talent and less people pleasing/editing).  The use of color and the scaling kept the video in motion and the framing helped set up the video.  Overall, I think this music video as well as the song belonged on the top of the charts and should be remembered!

No comments:

Post a Comment